Friday, August 1, 2008

It's a Small World..

A little while ago Daneel's work hosted a family fun night for all employees. Everyone was invited to a place called Main Event, where they have bowling, laser tag, pool, shuffleboard, arcade games, and all sorts of activities.
We played air hockey, race car arcade games (I was doing fine until the steering wheel came off my machine), and we bowled. 
Daneel beat me soundly at everything we played. I blame Junior. That kid is no help when it comes to moving quickly or exercising flexibility. Fortunately for Daneel, I have grown past the stage of crying when I lose (I used to pull that on my brother when we were little). I am proud to report that there were no tears involved in the evening. 
After we had been bowling for awhile, a friend of Daneel's, James, came in with his wife Dixie. Something about Dixie seemed vaguely familiar to me. We talked for awhile and I asked her where she was from. She said, 'I'm from a town in south Texas that's right on the border of Mexico.'  
"What's the name of the town?" I asked. 
"McAllen." she said.
I had met one other person named Dixie in my life. She was from McAllen, and used to play together whenever my family visited my grandparents who lived in McAllen. 
Dixie and I saw Aladdin together in the theaters when it first came out. Our mothers were good friends and my grandmother had taught her piano. I wondered if she just might be the same girl.
I asked, "Did you happen to know a lady named Mildred Allen?" 
"Yeah, she taught me piano." Dixie said. She seemed a little surprised.
I said, "I'm her grand-daughter. We used to play together when we were little."
"Oh my gosh, you're Gloria's daughter!!" She exclaimed. 
It was a really fun reunion. We hadn't seen each other in 10 or 12 years, and now our husbands are working together. 
Who even knew we had friends here! 

Dixie and me

Daneel getting ready to bowl another strike. I found out that my husband recently picked up amazing bowling skills.

Watching the results of my 'set the ball down and roll it very gently' strategy. Sometimes it took about a minute and a half for the ball to reach the pins, but there were far fewer gutter balls than normal. I may stick with this method. :)

Shuffleboard! I had no idea this game could be so fun.


1 comment:

Anna said...

This looks like mini curling. i think if you stick with it and practice eight hours a day, the 2010 Olympic team would be crazy not to take you!