Sunday, August 31, 2008

Little Blessings

For the past few weeks, Daneel and I have been trying to juggle finances and fitting a baby into our budget. This process has been about a million times more complicated than I ever dreamed it would be. I think one might need to have a degree in business or financing to be good at budgeting. I have neither. 
Part of me would just like to cancel our electricity and utilities and put that money towards more fun things - like the decorating our house part of the budget that currently does not exist. 
However, the part of me that appreciates air conditioning and personal hygiene realizes that this may not be the most ingenious idea.
We've been trying to figure out ways to save in areas like grocery shopping and me not going to Starbucks every time I have a doctors appointment (sigh...) And in the area of eating out, we decided that we're going to split entrees and stick to drinking water. 
So today after church, some of the couples from our Lifegroup decided to go out for lunch. 
We weren't sure whether to go or not because we had just gone out last night for a last fun date night before Junior arrives. After thinking about it for a bit, the social factor won out and we decided to go.
We got to the restaurant and ordered our food and I snacked on lots and lots and lots of bread while we waited for the food. After a little while the food came - well everybody's food except for ours. Ours was delayed for some reason. This wasn't a problem though, because there was still bread in front of me.
So we waited and waited some more for our lunch. The waiter kept telling us it would be right out. I really wasn't paying attention to the time because I was eating tastylicious bread and talking to the people around me. Finally the manger came out and brought us our food. He said that they weren't even going to charge us for it since we had to wait so long! This was pretty terrific news - because eating out for free definitely fits into the budget.
It wasn't a huge thing, but it was a fun way that God blessed us and we are very thankful for that!       

4 comments:

Alison, Jake, Addison, Avery and baby Bean said...

He takes care of our needs! Even our eating out needs :) I love little stories like that.

amy brink said...

aw that's cool! very encouraging and also funny and made me laugh. wanna go get ice cream at chico's junior? i'll buy :) just let me know.

Gail in LC said...

I'm glad I found your blog, Stephanie :) It makes me smile to know that you're doing well! I like this short story a lot...I love it when God does seemingly small things like that but they are truly a great blessing.

Mandy said...

Yay, God! I love stories...and you are good at telling them. And I like the word "tastylicious." Love you!