Monday, August 11, 2008

What is her deal??

Something I've observed about myself since being pregnant is that I tend to have stronger emotional reactions to things than I might normally have. 
For example, when we drove from New Mexico to Texas with my parents to look for houses, we ordered pizza for dinner one night. It tasted wonderful and there were a few pieces left over.
The next day Daneel, my dad, and I were out running errands, and my dad suggested that we eat the leftover pizza for lunch. Under normal circumstances, this would have been fine. But these were no normal circumstances.  I did the math and thought to myself, 'There are four of us. There are not many pieces of pizza, and I have the appetite of a sumo wrestler.' 
I quickly came to the realization that there might not be enough food to go around. And logically, I turned hysterical and started crying. This threw my dad and Daneel into minor panic mode. They had no clue why I was freaking out about pizza, but they did know that they wanted to stop the tears as quickly as possible, so we stopped and picked up more food and I did not starve to death.
There are a few other things that I tend to feel strongly about. One of these things is the olympics. 
I love the olympics - maybe to an unhealthy degree.
Well we don't have any TV service because that equals one less monthly payment, which equals more money for the grocery budget. And that is a big plus right now :)
However, we decided that we really wanted to see the olympics. We went to Best Buy and bought a few different indoor antennas to see if any of them would let us pick up NBC. Unfortunately none of them worked for us so we returned them all. It was sort of an emotional day, and this caused a minor outbreak of tears. I tried to reassure that Daneel we would figure something out and he stopped crying pretty quickly.
Or maybe I was the one crying - I can't remember now :)
We decided to sign up for the least expensive TV plan we could find. We placed our order and committed to 18 months of TV service - all for the primary purpose of watching the olympics for 2 weeks... (Unhealthy obsession, right there).
Initially our service was supposed to be started tomorrow. This morning I was reviewing our order and decided I wanted to make one SIMPLE change. I called the company and the lady I spoke with told me that she would have to change our installation date to Wed. if we wanted to change our plan. I did not understand why a minor change would throw the system so much that they could not keep the initial installation date, but what can you do? So I went ahead with it. 
This whole process took approximately 42 minutes and at the end she said, "Ok, we can do this for you on Friday." 
FRIDAY??? What happened to Wednesday, or better yet, our initial time on Tuesday? I started to feel that same irrational hysterical feeling creeping up on me. 
I said, "Ok, can we just forget the change and go back to our initial order with the original installation date?" Because guess how many days of the olympics we have to miss if we don't get service until Friday? The correct answer is too many. 
She said, "No, I have cancelled your other order and the Tuesday installation date is no longer available. We can do this on Friday." 
I begged and pleaded for an earlier installation date, all to no avail. I didn't want to burst into tears on her, so I agreed to Friday and hung up. (Looking back now, maybe a few tears would have helped the situation..)
This process has brought me to some important realizations. 
1. This really shouldn't be such a big deal. My perspective on what is important is a little bit skewed. 
2. We are so blessed and have been given so much. If missing a few days of the olympics is the greatest of my problems, I have ABSOLUTELY nothing to complain about.



3 comments:

Kellie said...

Well, you can always try and watch some of the Olympics online. They probably have them somewhere.

I should probably tell you that I cry at the Olympics. And I'm not even pregnant. Just hormonal.

Mandy said...

You are awesome. You can come over and watch them at our house. Just a thought. :-)

Anna said...

Oh the things you've missed in Olympics-land! On Saturday I watched a very thrilling match of badminton between Indonesia and Germany. Such focus, such grace, such ferocity!! You can count on me to fill you in on all the important victories. (Indonesia won.)