Last week Daneel and I made a life changing discovery here in our new home state of Texas. We realized that we can buy fresh, New Mexican grown, green chile within 2o miles of our home.
I realize that some of you are probably not comprehending the greatness of this discovery. That is most likely because you have not lived in New Mexico and your life has not yet been transformed by the amazingness of green chile.
Some of you may even be asking 'What is green chile?'
I am so glad you asked because I would love to tell you.
Green chile is a New Mexican grown chile pepper that is highly addictive and used in cooking all kinds of delectable dishes - from breakfast burritos to chicken enchiladas to apple pie and ice cream. Ok, ok, we don't actually put chile in apple pie. That would be obsessive.
They do sell green chile ice cream though :)
When we moved here one thing we said we would miss was being able to buy freshly roasted green chile. Daneel actually told his mom that she would have to bring us green chile in exchange for getting to meet Junior. I'm telling you, this is a big deal.
So last week when I saw that Albertsons was selling 25 pound boxes of green chile - imported from Hatch, New Mexico, I was overjoyed.
I was in line to buy a box for us when a lady came up behind me and asked, "what is this?"
"It's green chile."
"what do you do with it?"
"You use it for cooking all kinds of New Mexican dishes."
"Oh. Ok I'll take a box."
I'm pretty sure that lady has no idea what she is getting herself into. I probably wouldn't advise anyone to buy 25 pounds of green chile if they've never had it before..
But for all of our Texas friends, we would LOVE to have you over so that you can experience the wonder of green chile. I promise we won't put it in any desserts.
And for our New Mexican friends. The boxes of chile are actually $20 cheaper here than they are in New Mexico, so if you want to get a better deal on chiles, our house is open for you to stay with us :)



6 comments:
Dear Stephanie,
I DID live in New Mexico. And I still don't love green chile. However, whenever I use them to cook with up here, everyone else tells me that I lived in New Mexico too long.
I would die if I saw that much green chile at once.
I think you're in denial. You do love green chile. If you come out and visit I'll make you yummy chicken enchiladas. And as a bonus you can meet Junior.
Stephanie,
I have never lived in New Mexico, only visited. And I LOVE Green chile. We sometimes make a special trip to my grandfather's house just to buy green chile and have a pealing party. Then we split it all up and every one takes a bunch home. We would LOVE to come over and have a New Mexican style dinner. My mom makes salsa and we can bring that. Lets us know when. I can't wait. Was it the ALbertson's in W'town?
I can hardly see through my tears of jealousy. I'm going to go console myself by hugging a dinky can of Bueno green chile... sniff sniff
Oye... you better be eating a lot of that stuff! I hear it helps induce labor. :)
Yeah! So glad you found green chile!! I'm going to get some tomorrow and I'm really excited about it! Was ours hot or medium last year? What did you get this year?
Post a Comment