Monday, April 11, 2011

Good vs. Great

I haven't been posting pictures or updates about life's recent events. Time is hard to come by these days and I've been trying to process activities through a good vs. great filter when it comes to where I spend my time.
There are so many things that I'd like to do - spend time with Daneel, come up with fun and creative things to do with the girls, spend more time sewing, crafting, and working on photography, read, pursue friendships, clean my house, paint my toenails, work out, couponing (but not like the crazies on TLC) and a few other things..
I've realized that right now I cannot do all of those things well, and I need to let go of some of them until another stage of life - cleaning the house, for instance ;)
I've been reading a few different books on motherhood and parenting, and it's really hit me that our girls are only young for a very short period of time. I want to take full advantage of these sweet, yet often draining, days with my Avalon and Julie. In 'The Mission of Motherhood,' Sally Clarkson compares the hearts of her children to empty treasure chests. As parents, and especially as a mother it's my calling to make deposits and fill up those treasure chests as I invest in the girls - spending time with them, teaching them, training them, loving them, disciplining them... So right now, I'm trying to invest my time in what is great - our marriage, the girls, other life-building relationships, and especially my relationship with God.
Daneel is examining his life in the same way right now - trying to simplify and get rid of the things that don't make the 'great' cut when it comes to spending time. We're actually talking about getting rid of TV - eek!! simply because we hardly ever watch it, and when we do it just takes the place of spending quality time with each other.
So that is a summary of where we've been the past couple of months. Thanks for staying tuned!


2 comments:

Alison, Jake, Addison, Avery and baby Bean said...

I just love you guys. You're such great examples to me of what marriage and family and priorities should be. I hope I made it on the list of important friendships! :)
(ps- sorry if this posted twice...)

Stephanie, Daneel, Avalon & Julie said...

Thanks Alison - you're so sweet and encouraging. We really admire yours and Jake's relationship. And you definitely make the friendship cut! ;)