Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mom Heart

A year or two ago a good friend of mine introduced me to Sally Clarkson - not personally, just to her books. She has written The Mission of Motherhood, The Ministry of Motherhood, and a number of other books that are filled with wisdom and encouragement for moms. She also has a blog that I LOVE to read - itakejoy.com.
A few weeks ago, I got to attend one of her Mom Heart conferences in Dallas. There were close to 800 moms there. The theme of the weekend was The Heartshaping Mother - How to open, fill, and hold your child's heart.
I was going to make a list of the top 10 things I took away from the conference, but when I sat down to write, there were way more than ten. So I'll share what spoke to me the most, and next year I hope that some of my mom friends will come with me (If you are a mom of young-ish kids, that's you!)

1. Spend time with God - every day!! He created the sun, the moon, and the stars. He created your heart, your husband's heart, and the hearts of your children. He is the author of all wisdom; and he has something special and personal for you each day.
He holds the keys to success for your day, but you are not going to get it if you don't spend time with him. Think about WHO you are passing up spending time with when you tell yourself that you just don't have the time.

2. Whatever you practice, you will become. Practice being hopeful, joyful, and loving. You can't pass something on to your children that you don't first possess.

3. Some practical advice from other moms:
*Do-overs - when your child's attitude isn't right (or when your attitude isn't right) back up and do it again!
*Remember, this too shall pass
*They (my children) are NOT out to get me!! (haha - I know I feel that way some days :)  They really do want to obey and do what is right (most of the time). Take off a spirit of offense and offer them grace.
*Your capacity is greater than you think. It's never going to be easy, but it will always be worth it.

4. What is your target? What are you aiming for with your children? Aim for excellence.

5. Be an advocate for your children. Let them know - I am for you! I am with you! I believe in you!
God is an advocate for his children all the way through.
Do NOT shame your children.

6. Have fun!! We are made to enjoy and celebrate life. Laugh and lighten up.

7. The most blessed child has a HAPPY mom. Choose joy and choose to like who you are.

8. Train selfishness out of your children - serve and honor them, and teach them to do likewise.

9. If I want to win the hearts of my children, I have to be relational.

10. If you want to have the disciples that Jesus had (they gave their lives and changed the world), you have to invest. Lay down your life.
Relate to what your children need. Fill their cups. Have compassion. Dream big dreams for them. Take time to LISTEN to their hearts. And listen to the Holy Spirit.

11. It is easy for kids to leave behind a faith that is not their own. They need to have their own relationship with God - not your relationship with God.

12. Train your children to think Biblically.

13. Don't protect your children from everything difficult. It is good for them to learn to walk by faith.

14. GRACE

15. Read, read, read to your children

16. Be gracious AND teach the truth. Love AND hold a high standard

17. God delights in using normal people if we will submit ourselves to him.
 *P.S. He has to make us look like Jesus first.

This is just a sample of what I got out of the conference. There was so much more, and I wish I could write everything. There were so many helpful resources, and so much encouragement.
One thing I thought was really neat, was that we got to hear from Sally's 2 grown sons, and from one of her daughters. She homeschooled her children (but did not in any way convey that that's what you need to do to raise good kids) and it is incredible to see where her children are today. They are all doing incredible things in the Kingdom of God and it was inspiring to hear them speak.
I would definitely love to go back next year.

2 comments:

Alison, Jake, Addison, Avery and baby Bean said...

I'd love to go! I love all the things you said... it totally speaks to my heart and what I want to be too. I need to lighten up sometimes and just love my girls. Be the kind of person I want them to be. Good word girl!

April :) said...

That sounds so encouraging and great! Would love to go too!! :)