Since moving to Texas we have had a tricky time coming up with 4th of July plans. In Los Alamos, where I grew up, we had a HUGE, small-town celebration that everybody came out to see. And a grand old time is always had by all.
That is not the case here. Some places have their fireworks show on the 3rd. Does that seem weird to anyone else?? And a lot of people do their own fireworks. I'm sure that is fun but it seems a wee bit dinky compared to a professional show. As I'm typing I think I'm discovering that I'm a fireworks snob. I apologize.
This year however, we discovered a really neat 4th of July celebration in Granbury. They start the morning off with a parade, and have festivities around the square all day. At the end of the day they put on a really impressive fireworks show. Last year it was actually ranked as one of the top 50 shows in the country.
We were not ambitious enough to get down to Granbury for the parade. But we made it down mid-day to check out all the happenings at the square. It was at least 170 degrees out so we walked around the square once, stopped for ice cream, and then headed to my parent's new house to sit inside and enjoy the blessing of air conditioning.
That evening we all sat outside in my parents backyard and had a perfect view of the fireworks. It was a great show. And a fun day was had by all!
Before the heat set in



Partied out and sleeping on the ride home

Daneel took some great pictures of the fireworks on his phone, but they didn't make it to the computer so I have nothing to show. You'll just have to watch the show next year for yourself :)

No comments:
Post a Comment