Friday, May 13, 2011

Kids say the darndest things.. here's proof

I had been planning on posting something about Avalon and potty training, but that was back in February, so it seems like pretty old news. Anyway, Avalon is potty trained now – YAY! and is growing, growing, growing.
She has become quite the little helper. She loves to help move laundry from the washing machine to the dryer, and from the dryer to the couch… and then she likes to play in the clothes. She has yet to catch on to the folding part. She doesn’t do the most thorough job, but she does love to sweep and mop. And she helps empty the dishwasher. She also loves to brush her teeth and get herself dressed.
Not to say that she is a perfect 2 year old. She is still very much a 2 year old with some very strong opinions. :)

She is especially particular about what she wears. I was not expecting to encounter that quite this early. She adores dresses, and every day she declares ‘I need to wear a bootiful dress!’
She has been influenced by one of her favorite DVDs, – Celtic Woman, and also by her princess-loving friends. She is currently enamored with Cinderella and her favorite dress is a blue Cinderella dress that she picked out from Wal-Mart.
I should have bought 2, and her summer wardrobe would be complete."

One of my favorite things about the stage Avalon is in, is listening to her talk. She has plenty to say. If we’re at the table and all is quiet, she’ll say, “Talk to me Daddy! (or Mommy)"
She has progressed from ‘fockit milk’ to making statements that keep us laughing. These are some of my favorites so far:

A couple of months ago, Avalon went through a stage where everything was ‘scarwy.’ My mom was here visiting and she was singing. Avalon looked at her and said, ‘Don’t sing. That’s scarwy!’
About the same time, when she would disobey or do things that she knew she wasn’t supposed to be doing, Daneel would give Avalon a stern look. Avalon would quickly respond, “No Daddy, don’t scare me! Don’t swank (spank) Avalon!” It is so hard not to laugh during those times..

One night before bed, I was reading a Bible story with Avalon. She looked up at the wall above her bed where she has pictures of her grandparents, and she announced in her ‘I know everything’ voice, “Mommy, that’s not Jesus, that’s Oupa.”
Another night we were reading about David and there was a picture in her Bible of David standing next to King Saul. She pointed to the cape that King Saul was wearing and said, “Look! He’s a Super Frover (Grover)!”

Avalon’s favorite book is ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ by Eric Carle. After the caterpillar eats all the food, he is no longer a very tiny caterpillar, but he is a “big, fat caterpillar.” Avalon has now added the expression, “big, fat” to her vocabulary. (This could disastrous)
We were reading a book that had a puppy and a bigger dog next to the puppy. Avalon said, “Look it’s a puppy! And that’s a BIG FAT daddy dog!”
The next day we were driving and Avalon saw a pickup truck. She said, “look mommy, a truck!” Then she saw a semi and exclaimed “and there’s a big, fat truck!”
I am not looking forward to the day that she points at someone and says something along the lines of “look! It’s a baby and a big, fat mommy!” And that is exactly why I have decided that from now on Avalon will only go out in public if she is accompanied by her father.

A couple of nights ago, Avalon was in the bathtub and she pointed to her chest and asked, “Who’s that?” (She always says ‘who’ instead of ‘what’). Daneel, who was giving her the bath replied, “That’s a nipple.” Avalon replied, “Oh, a nipple.”
The next evening Daneel came home from work and he was changing out of his work shirt into a t-shirt. Avalon walked in the room and said, “Oh Daddy, I love your nipples! I love your red nipples daddy!” I am still laughing about that one.

Her new thing is to jump into her little car and start scooting as she says, “Ok I love you! See you soon. I go to New Mexcico to see Ouma and Oupa, and Mama Fory and Frandad!”

A few weeks ago while driving to church -
Avalon:‘NO! I don’t want to go to church!’
Me: ‘Why not?’
Avalon: ‘PEE-CAUSE, it puts me to sleep!!”

She has also said some very sweet things.
Another day while we were driving she looked over at Julie in her car seat and exclaimed, “Oh JulieBug! You are beautiful!”

One morning I went to get Avalon up and I had just rolled out of bed myself. I looked less than gorgeous. She looked at me and said, “Oh Mommy, I love your hair! And I love your pretty pink toes, and I love your shirt!” She is so tenderhearted and sweet, and I love that about her. She often tells me that “Jesus loves Avalon.”
At dinner one evening, Daneel was praying and in the middle of the prayer Avalon piped up, “Oh Jesus! I love Jesus!” My prayer is that she always will.



3 comments:

Alison, Jake, Addison, Avery and baby Bean said...

oh Avalon, you are just the sweetest thing! I love her quiet, sweet nature. She really is a joy to have around! I'm feeling a little emotional and that last part made me cry! I might have to write something on my blog to make you cry :)

Kellie said...

Hahahahahahahaha!

My favorite is King Saul = Super Grover.

Holly said...

Oh, man... this had me laughing out loud. I sooo wish we were closer. Avalon and Israel could do laundry together all day. :) She sounds like such a fun little girl.