Her teacher, Miss Kristin, said, 'That's the first time I've heard her talk in class.'
I was shocked. Avalon talks all the time at home but she is very shy in big groups or with people she doesn't know well. I wish that everyone else could see the Avalon that we see at home.
At times I find myself wishing that Avalon weren't so timid around other children, or people in general. I think it's because I see myself in that, and it's a struggle for me. I was very shy growing up and I wasn't the type to reach out to people I didn't know. Sometimes it came across as being snobby or stuck up (My husband's first impression of me!). I've really had to work at growing in that area. I still could stand to grow in that area.
I don't want Avalon to struggle with those same things. She has such a sweet and tender heart and I want people to see that in her, not just the shyness. As I've prayed for Avalon in this particular area, God has reminded me that Avalon is 'fearfully and wonderfully made.' He created her perfectly and with her specific personality for a reason. I know that there will be certain things she will encounter as she grows up that will probably be difficult for her because of her cautious nature or because she isn't naturally outgoing. My prayer is that I'll be able to encourage her in those areas because I've been there too.
I have more I that I could add to this topic but that was a tangent from what I had planned for this post to be. So I'll get back on the original track. :)
As Avalon has been talking more and more it's been quite entertaining to hear what she has to say. Here are a few clips..
Me: "Avalon, what's that?" (pointing to a picture of a duck)
Avalon: That's a Guck!
Me: "What does a duck say?"
Avalon: "Fwack Fwack!"
Daneel: Avalon, what does a cowboy say?
Avalon: MOOO
Daneel: No, that's a cow. What does a cowboy say?
Avalon: YEE MOO!!
We've been working VERY hard at getting Avalon to say Please and Thank You.
She's had please down for awhile (but usually doesn't say it without a reminder). Recently she has picked up 'Thank you' and 'You're Welcome.'
Avalon: I want milk!
Me: How do you ask nicely?
Avalon: Pwease!
Me: Please what?
Avalon: Pwease what.
Me: Please milk (as I hand her the milk)
Me: Say thank you, Avalon.
Avalon: Kank you Avalon
Before I can say anything, she quickly adds: You're welcome Avalon
It's not uncommon to hear her say 'You're welcome Avalon' at random points throughout the day.
Avalon: Kayful Avalon.
Translation: Careful Avalon.
She says this to herself, usually when she's doing something she shouldn't be doing. - Climbing on the changing table, the kitchen table, or the bathroom countertop.
Avalon: Daddy, kickle me!
Translation: Daddy, tickle me!
Avalon: Daddy is SO sillwe. (Daddy is SO silly).
And my personal favorite. This one cracks me up every time she says it.
Avalon: Mommy, I want fockit milk!
Me: You want what?
Avalon: I want fockit milk!!!
Translation: I want chocolate milk!!! (Her special treat when we go to Starbucks)


6 comments:
There isn't a stuck up bone in your body, you have one of the biggest sweetest hearts of anyone I know. That shines through, shy or not. I will remember to pray for that for Avalon as I pray for the same thing over Geneva. I just love our lives at home and then it's like she's this little mute follower with her friends/or in groups of people. At first I got frustrated with her (be a leader!) but there is a huge gift of observing before one acts or thinks, unlike what I usually do. So I'm trying to find the strength in her persona instead of the potential flaws. It's so incredible how much of ourselves we pass to our children, for better or worse. so incredible.
I love this blog and beautiful picture of our little Avalon. The chocolate milk story is especially enjoyable. Daneel will understand why.
Wow. This made me laugh out loud! Izzy also says things that sound like the F-word.
I so wish they could grow up together. They have a lot in common, it seems. :) Ditto with the shyness thing.
Hahaha! I love the milk story! What are you teaching that child?? Ryley practices all his new words when he's supposed to be going to sleep. If you listen outside his door you hear "blue balloon... I wuv you!... mama... yallow Jallo!" (yellow jellow) It's so great! Another favorite: Ryley- "Pick! You! Up??" Kim: "Pick me up please" Ryley- "Pick! Me! Up!" Kim-"Please." Ryley- "Pweese." (he speaks in staccatto)
Avalon is such a sweet girl... just like her mama. I love this post! Trying not to feel bad about not posting anything myself in over a month... :)
So sweet Steph! Love the picture of Avalon and the cute story about the milk.
I've had the same struggle over the years of being shy and more than I'd like to say had the label of the "stuck up" girl. I've grown A LOT over the last several years in this area and know you will too. God did create us all different for a reason... Thank God! I've never thought badly of you... Love you the way God made you :)
Post a Comment