Wednesday, February 4, 2009

5 months!

Avalon is officially 5 months old! It's hard to believe that much time has already gone by.
She is smiling, laughing, and loves to play peek-a-boo. No one can make her giggle quite like her daddy. I think my favorite sound in the world is listening to her laugh when Daneel plays with her. 

I don't know how to tie this story to the above paragraph, so I'm going to jump right in. 2 days ago I stopped by the post office to mail something for Daneel. I had Avalon in her carseat up on the counter next to me. 
The postal worker was talking to her a little bit and then he looked at me and said, 'That's a FAT baby!' I wasn't really sure what to say. She definitely has some chub but she's not a sumo baby. 
Then the postal worker continued, "She must have a pretty large dad." 
It's true. She does. At 5' 10" and 135 pounds we are beside ourselves trying to figure out how to get Daneel's weight under control. 
I thought people said random things to me when I was pregnant, but now that Avalon is here, I have learned that people will say anything to or about a baby. 

One day I was in the grocery store and I had Avalon in a longsleeve blue onesie with pink letters on it that say "THIS is what cute looks like." She also had pink socks on. (See outfit from 'Helping Daddy' post :)  )
I was holding Avalon and the cashier said, "Well I don't know what your baby is because it's wearing pink AND blue." I just smiled and told replied that SHE is a girl. I thought of plenty of things I could have said, but I decided against it.

The past few times that we have gone to the pediatrician, the doctor has looked at Avalon's weight and said, "Well eating doesn't seem to be a problem for her." It's true. But it made me think, at what age does it become inappropriate for someone to make those kinds of comments to you. What if doctors did that to adults? I'd hate to be at an appointment and have the doctor look at the scale and remark, "Well eating certainly doesn't seem to be a problem for you." (It's not by the way). I guess they figure that welcoming comments such as those will not entice you to come back. And it's already pretty hard to get me to go to the doctor... 

Anyway, those are some random thoughts. Here are a few pictures of our sweet pudgy 5 month old.









8 comments:

April :) said...

People can be so rude sometimes! I do agree that folks thing anything goes when it comes to a baby. Love her baby blues!! Her eyes really show up in that outfit...so cute!

Stephanie, Daneel, Avalon & Julie said...

Thanks! It's true - people can be very blunt. I wasn't offended though. It was just funny and random :)

Unknown said...

She is NOT fat!! She is adorable and lovable and huggable. She looks so happy and healthy -- cute as a button!!

alicia kristine said...

omg... I know how people can be... Christopher was always in the 10th percentile for weight and the 95th for height... he was all arms and legs! He was and is very healthy... I used to hear everything~ "babies are supposed to be fat"... you'll learn to tune them ou...t anyone that says things like that does not have an apreciation for the uniqueness of His creation... they are all so perfect and she is a doll!

Unknown said...

I'm fairly certain that my babies will be Avalon's 5-month size when they're like 3 weeks. Please don't read that comment to mean that I'm pregnant.

I have come up with a list of responses for you to tell people when they say things like "Wow, she's fat!"

"Wow, you're stupid!"
"Wow, you have dry hands!"
"Wow, you smell like salty cheese!"
"Wow, bad hair day!"
"Wow, you have yellow teeth!"
"Wow, you must weigh 15 times her weight!"
"Wow, look at all your wrinkles!"

Stephanie, Daneel, Avalon & Julie said...

Oh my gosh, you make me laugh so much. I miss you.

Holly said...

That second picture is fabulous. My favorite!! And, she is so not fat!
Someone here met Israel and said, "His head just looks so much bigger in the back than his face. It's all disproportional and makes him look a little weird, that's all." (This was like 5 seconds after I introduced myself and him to her.) Seriously.
I'm glad you can laugh it off. I have a hard time not feeling angry.

Cyndi Davis said...

People really do crack me up sometimes. Isn't it great we have a sense of humor and are able to bite our tongues (albeit hard sometimes). I had a lady at the zoo 1 time say, "Look at that fat baby." Really was the pot calling the kettle black!
Thanks for letting me join you at lunch today. Your pictures are awesome but she's even cuter in person!