Monday, December 15, 2008

Funnyness

About a week ago Daneel gave a presentation to a class of 2nd graders. We have a friend who teaches at an elementary school in Fort Worth. One of her co-workers was doing a unit on South Africa with her students and our friend asked Daneel if he would be willing to give a presentation on South Africa. 
He put together a power point presentation and he talked about animals, sharks and diving... He even taught them how to say a few things in Afrikaans.
One of the students asked him if they celebrate Christmas over there. Daneel said that they do, but they celebrate it a little differently because Christmas happens during the summer over there. He also told the kids that they would open all of their presents on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas day. One of the students raised his hand and asked, "Well if you open all of your presents on Christmas Eve, when does Santa come???" 
Daneel was totally caught off guard with that one but he quickly recovered and replied, "Well in South Africa, Santa comes the night BEFORE Christmas Eve." 
They were all pretty impressed with that bit of information. I told Daneel that the one thing they would all go home and tell their parents they learned that day is that in South Africa, Santa comes the night before Christmas Eve.. :) 

So a couple days ago in the mail, Daneel received a huge envelop full of thank-you-notes, written by 2nd graders. They are hilarious. I would post them all if I had time, but I'm pretty sure no one is actually that interested in reading them all. So I'll just post a couple.

This is what they look like on the outside

Dankie (pronounced 'donkey) means 'Thank You' in Afrikaans.
Now you all know as much Afrikaans as I do :)

However, it is the inside of these cards that actually contain the treasures.
Here are a few excerpts, spelling unaltered:

Dear Daneel,
Thank you for time and hard work. This well help us. 
Thank you again.
Fondly,
Hannah

P.S. I loved every bit of the show that you made for us

Thank you very much because telling us all of that informashine for us. And about the big 5. And about the cool stuff.
Frume, 
Wyatt

Dear Daneel,
I rilly like when you tought about when you said about the only place in the word where they jump out of the wadder. Because I never heard of those sharks.
Merry Summer!
Zoe



3 comments:

Lindsay said...

How cute is that? Don't you just love little kids. They are so darn cute and don't even try to be. I bet Daneel really enjoyed that. Congrats to him for giving up a portion of his day for such a great cause.

Unknown said...

"Way to go" Daneel. I am proud of you!! I loved the story about Santa coming the night before christmas eve!! ha ha - good recovery. I am sure you will get very good with those kind of answers as Avalon grows up. Love you! Mom

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh, Steph, that is hilarious. So cute. Good job, Daneel. And have fun in NM. Wish we were there while you're there. We miss you guys.