Awhile ago we started thinking about trying to make the trip through the night so that Avalon would be sleeping most of the way. She has pretty much zero tolerance for her car seat when she is awake.
She doesn't like being restrained, and she prefers to be sitting up, looking around, and part of the action. The thought of driving with 11 hours of screaming didn't seem very appealing, so we decided we would try to drive through the night.
Unfortunately, Avalon has not been sleeping very well since Thanksgiving. She takes great naps, but for whatever reason she has started waking up 3-4 times a night. She had been waking up once a night, sometimes twice, so it was a bit of a discouraging setback.
(Within the past couple of days I realized that she has started the teething process. That very well may have something to do with the increased nighttime fussiness). I was starting to feel somewhat apprehensive about making the drive at night. She has had one night since Thanksgiving where she slept a stretch of 6 hours. Other than that, she has been up crying every 2 hours or so. (I'm a little bit exhausted).
I was worried that she was going to end up screaming most of the way anyway. We decided we would attempt the trip at night anyway and spend the night in Amarillo if she really wasn't doing well. So with LOTS and LOTS of prayer, we left our house at 4:45 yesterday afternoon. Avalon fell right asleep and slept for the first 3 hours. She woke up when we stopped for dinner and was awake for 2 more hours. Then she slept for the next 6 hours and didn't wake up until we hit Los Alamos (just before 3 in the morning). For those very blessed parents with amazing sleepers, this may not seem like a big deal, but for us, it was nothing short of a miracle!
God answered every single one of our travel prayers. The roads were great, we didn't encounter any snow until we got to Los Alamos. We didn't have any car problems or accidents. And Avalon was a trooper! Thank you so much to everyone who was praying for us. We really appreciate it!

6 comments:
so i think i need to ask you to pass that luck over to us.
we are headed to austin on wed, which will be like a 6 hr drive for us.
cade also hates his car seat. so hopefully we will get as lucky as you guys did!!!
I hope the rest of your trip goes as well as the ride up there. We are praying for a great visit with no stress!
yeah 4 you guys. and enjoy family time.
That's great news! Ethan did better than I expected on the way to MS. He only cried for about 1 1/2 hours but on the way back he cried off and on for 3 hours...so that was ruff! But we are back and safe so that's good! Hope you guys enjoy your trip :)
How awesome. I was wondering how it would go making that drive! Izzy despises being in his car seat, too. I hope the way back goes just as smoothly. And I hope you get some rest, friend...
Hi friend! I hope I get to see you again someday. We should talk and catch up soon.
Post a Comment