Thursday, August 29, 2013

A month flown by!

August 22 marked 1 month for Titus and Zachary. I can't believe how quickly it flew!
I think it's safe to say that the boys spent the majority of their first month sleeping. They did a fair amount of eating as well. I can see their little legs chubbing up a little bit and they are finally able to wear newborn clothes without swimming in them. 
They are both getting better about holding their heads up and are getting to be good grabbers - particularly of hair.
Both boys continue to be fairly mellow. They have their fussy moments but in general are pretty content to hang out. I am so thankful for two relatively easy-going babies. Neither of their sisters were easy-going, so even though there are two babies to take care of, it doesn't seem overwhelming (most of the time). I feel much more relaxed than I was when I had Avalon and even Julie. It's been much easier to simply enjoy them. 

The most difficult part for me has been nights. We've had some really rough nights where both boys have been fussy and gassy. On those nights I feel like I am up the entire night with one boy or the other - sometimes both. On good nights when Zachary and Titus both sleep well, the feeding aspect is still really tricky. When they wake up at the same time to eat it's hard to feed them both and burp them without involving Daneel's help. When they wake up at different times to eat I feel like I don't get much sleep between feeding both of them at least twice a night. It's nice to know that eventually they will sleep longer stretches and that this phase will not last forever. Yawn. 

At their 1 month check up, both boys had gained about a pound and a half from their initial birth weight.
Titus weighed 6 pounds 7.5 oz and measured 18.5 inches - 1st percentile for weight and height. 
Zachary weighed 6 pounds 15.5 oz and was 19 inches long. 1st percentile for weight, 2nd for height. Obviously he will be our little linebacker :)

The doctor said she wasn't concerned at all about the low percentiles since they are twins and started out so small. They will catch up in time.

We had a lot of visitors during the first month between family coming to visit and help out, and friends bringing us food. We are so thankful for all the meals and help. It's made the first month much easier.
Just a couple of days after getting home from the hospital, Geoffrey and Suzanne and their daughters, Olivia and Ashton, flew to the US for a visit from London. We hadn't seen them since our trip to Colorado 1 year ago. It was great to see them and meet little Ashton for the first time. Avalon, Julie, and Olivia had a great time playing together. My parents were here during that time as well, helping out and bringing the food!

A few days later, Daneel's parents flew in to meet the twins. We had a fun time with them as well. They were very gracious and watched the twins for us so that Daneel and I could attend a marriage seminar that our church was having. I so enjoyed being able to do something without any children in tow. 

Avalon and Julie have been great helpers with the twins. They love to help with the feedings and with holding in general. There doesn't seem to be any jealousy or resentment, just a bit of over-loving at times :) I tell the girls pretty frequently to remember that their brothers are real babies, not dolls. 
The first thing out of Julie's mouth every morning when she comes downstairs is, 'Can I hold a baby??' I hope and pray that all four children grow up to be close friends.



















4 comments:

Alison, Jake, Addison, Avery and baby Bean said...

I just love seeing all the new pics! Hope you get some sleep soon!

amy mccluskie said...

Yay! Such a beautiful family! Praying for sweet, deep, refreshing sleep for you, friend.

Sondrea said...

Love love love all the pics!!! I am ready to move in and nanny whenever you need me! :)

Holly said...

These photos are all so precious, Steph! I've been thinking about you and praying for you! I can't imagine just how tired you must be. God bless you all!