Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Family Vacation: Lake City edition

Sometime last year my dad came up with the idea of taking a family vacation to Colorado. We, including, my parents, Daneel, myself, and the girls, and my brother's family.  He thought it would be fun to revisit Lake City, a place where we used to take fall trips when my brother and I were growing up. It's a gorgeous little town in Southern Colorado.
The plan sounded like a good one, so at the end of August we set off to Colorado, for the second time this summer. 

One of my dad's incentives for returning to Lake City, was that he wanted us to do a family mountain climb (minus my mom who would be taking care of the three girls). Mt. Uncompahgre is the 6th highest mountain in Colorado and located just outside of Lake City. My dad and brother had climbed it years ago and thought it would be a fun repeat. I've hiked a number of 14ers (a mountain over 14000 ft) but hadn't hiked any since Daneel and I were first married. I was a little nervous going into it, but climbing day proved to be a great day for all. We had beautiful weather and a great time hiking. The most difficult part of the hike for me was the climb down. My feet were so sore and blistered. The last couple of mile, my amazingly wonderful husband gave me his tennis shoes, which felt so much more comfortable on my feet, while he walked barefoot. I knew I picked a good one ;)

The overall trip was wonderful. The girls were awesome travelers and we thoroughly enjoyed soaking in the cooler temperatures and the gorgeous mountain views. We had a great time relaxing, sitting in front of the fire, taking walks, exploring, and seeing a myriad of animals. The girls had a blast playing outside - rolling down grassy hills, throwing rocks, picking leaves, and playing with whatever they could find. It was such a refreshing getaway.
One of the aspects of the trip that I loved so much was the enjoyment of seeing Avalon and Julie having as much fun playing outdoors and in the cabins as I remember having (20 years ago). It makes the memory even sweeter. (And now I'm tearing up).
It was also really special to spend time with Geoffrey, Suzanne, and Olivia, before they moved to London. The cousins had a great time playing together and we all really enjoyed the time.
I had the hardest time narrowing down pictures so enjoy the camera roll :)






















3 comments:

April :) said...

Amazing pics Steph! Congrats on your mtn climb...that is a big accomplishment!! (and btw you did marry a good one to give up his shoes!)

Cyndi Davis said...

Great pics!! LOVE the one of Daneel and the girls on the side of the mountain. Beautiful vacation and hats off to you for climbing the mountatin!

Sondrea said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics! The one of you looking over your shoulder is just beautiful. What a great Christmas present (enlarged and framed) that would be for some lucky guy who knows when to take his shoes off! And the one of Daneel hugging the girls, and Julie peeking through the branches, and Av looking so intently at the tree bark. . . . But what I am really thinking is: Good grief! I MISSED you guys SO MUCH when you were doing all of this! :)