A couple of weeks ago after church I was talking to the children's pastor at our church. She asked me if we had considered putting Avalon in Kidz Day Out - a program our church offers for mother's of young kids. It's kind of like preschool 2 days a week. We actually had seriously considered putting Avalon into a kids day out program in the fall, but the timing wasn't right and it didn't fit into our budget.
A few days after having that conversation, I got a call from the Kidz Day Out director. She told me that there was one opening in the 2 year old class and wanted to know if I wanted the slot for Avalon. I told her the same thing - that it didn't fit into our budget. A few minutes later she called me back and offered us a really great scholarship. Daneel's immediate reaction was that he thought Avalon should go, so we took the spot. Her first day would be Wed, December 1st.
On Tuesday night I got the jitters about sending her. I knew she would have a great time, but I was a little worried about me!! I was emotional thinking about sending her off to 'school' so early. But I was looking forward to having a some one on one time with Julie.
I am 100% guilty of wanting to cling tightly to Avalon and wanting to keep her from growing up, but the reality is that she is growing up whether I'm ready or not. I cried when she was 11 days old because she was growing up so quickly. How glad I am that she did not stop growing at 11 days! She is such a character of a 2 year old and I love her more every day.
As hard as it is to let them grow (and let them go) I want to be excited for/with my girls as they grow and do new things. - That's an excerpt from the pep talk I gave myself on Tuesday evening. The pep talk in it's entirety will be available when I publish my first book ;)
All that said, Wednesday morning came. Julie was up several the night before, so I was too sleepy to be sad. I dropped Avalon at her classroom and she walked right in and started playing. I was so glad that she was happy to be there. For the next 6 hours I ran errands, cleaned the house, and enjoyed little Julie Bug. It was a great day.
I was eager to pick Avalon up though. I was the first parent to arrive for pick up :)
Avalon's teachers are wonderful and they said she had a great day. They worked on number's, colors, shapes, read books, played with play doh, had music class, did a craft, worked on memorizing a Bible verse, had lunch, and took a nap. That list makes me want to take a nap! Avalon actually didn't take a nap but she did lay down on her blanket and had a rest time. The teachers said that she didn't say a word until lunch time when one of the other 2 year olds said something about cookies. Then Avalon came alive and started talking about cookies too. That's my girl. At least she has something in common with one of her classmates.
They also said that all the girls were up from their naps before the boys, and they all gathered in a corner of the room where they talked and giggled. I wish I could have seen it.
Here are some pictures from the day:




1 comment:
she looks like you in the 2nd one! such a beautiful big girl!
Post a Comment